Today I stumbled upon information about Bump Keys and am worried. Two main concerns:
- Most every keyed lock on the planet can easily be opened by anyone
- I was totally ignorant on the subject, and assume I’m not alone
Basically a Bump Key can be created and used by anyone (you, me, anyone) to open most locks including the dead bolts on our front doors. Others have explained these details for years so I feel it’s my duty to relay the information to my friends. Here are a few of the zillion resources on the subject:
- Wikipedia: Lock bumping explanation
- Video: How to make and use a bump key
- Video: What a bumping key looks like internally
- Article: Snopes confirms this is real
- Article: Consumer reports talks about it too
- Article: Engadget goes into detail on the subject
- Article: Lifehacker weighs in
- Resource: Additional information about home security
- For sale: Many places are selling devices for this task, or people can easily create them with a file and any old key… oh my!
In summary: This problem is real but a few companies are starting to take notice. The Kwikset SmartKey looks like a worthy (and affordable) option and a few other high quality/cost possibilities are also available. A few anti-bumping products exist for current locks but I doubt they are as effective as locks designed with lock bumping in mind. Or, simply play the numbers game and hope the bad guys don’t mess with your stuff. Unfortunately, most of us will choose the last option.