Today Facebook released a HipHop l33t shizznizzle of a tool for PHP but sadly it’s not the PHPVille I was hoping for. PHPVille is probably a game that encourages PHP community members to work on the PHP project (over at php.net). Much like FarmVille, users simply cannot stop playing!
Possible game features:
- Each SVN commit builds up your worth
- Not tending to or feeding your PECL extensions will result in them drying up and dying
- Dead PECL extensions may live on as zombies, as once in awhile people will resurrect them
- Eventually you may purchase things like an @php.net email address, and karma for other SVN repositories
- Neighbors share and improve each others code
- Future enhancement: The selling of karma, in bulk
- Future enhancement: When Oracle purchases PHP, you’ll be rich! [in PHPVille cash]
PHPVille members often discuss matters within the #php.pecl and #php.doc IRC channels on EFnet, or on the various mailing lists.
If you have other PHPVille ideas then please post them here and we’ll create the best facebook application ever! Also, thanks to Ralph and Ilia for discussing this on IRC and offering some of the ideas above. :)